- Great Lent is for all believers, not just clergy and monastics.
- Great Lent is time for serious consideration of the soul.
- Great Lent summons all believers to actively participate.
- Great Lent is an experience resulting in beneficial joy.
- Great Lent requires participation of the heart and mind.
- Great Lent entails continued discipline of the body.
- Great Lent gives structure to daily Christian life.
- Great Lent affects believers’ hearts, souls and bodies.
- Great Lent arrives each year for believers’ benefit.
- Great Lent is a recurring part of the each Liturgical Year.
- Great Lent has been deemed of continued value.
- Great Lent emphasizes the importance of repentance.
- Great Lent sets forth examples of repentance.
- Great Lent has specific defined liturgical services.
- Great Lent includes practices of prayer and fasting.
- Great Lent encourages believers to practice almsgiving.
- Great Lent offers instruction to attentive believers.
- Great Lent addresses the continuing hunger of the soul.
- Great Lent provides regular spiritual nourishment.
- Great Lent inspires drawing closer to Jesus Christ.
- Great Lent asks believers to refrain from sin.
- Great Lent calls believers to better lives in Christ.
- Great Lent directs hearts and minds to God’s Kingdom.
- Great Lent remembers the believers departed this life.
- Great Lent gives liturgical attention to the Mother of God.
- Great Lent directs believers away from sinful practices.
- Great Lent offers new beginnings in the life in Christ.
- Great Lent is an investment in the Kingdom of
- Great Lent helps those who have sinned to be forgiven.
- Great Lent is a time for serious confession of sins.
- Great Lent motivates personal change for the better.
- Great Lent is an inexhaustible source of learning.
- Great Lent enables believers to begin anew in Jesus Christ.
By God’s providence, with the blessings of His Holiness Serbian Patriarch Irinej and His Grace Bishop Gregory of Hercegovina, and by the effort of good people, our Serbian Orthodox parish of St. Archangel Gabriel in Richmond Hill, ON received the relics of the Holy New Martyrs of Prebilovci.
This remarkable gift and a blessing from the Lord will remain permanently at our parish church.
We invite you to come join us on Saturday, June 11, 2016 in venerating the holy relics of those that died for the Faith in Christ. Holy Liturgy will begin at 10AM, during which the adoration of the holy relics will take place. Agape will follow the Holy Liturgy at our church hall.
A terrible crime took place in 1941 in lower Hercegovina (Bosnia and Hercegovina today). Entire Orthodox Christian villages were wiped out. No one was spared: men, women, children, the elderly and infirm. They were killed simply for confessing the Orthodox Christian Faith and refusing to renounce Christ. The cruelty of the crimes surpasses anything seen in the history of mankind.
The martyrs of Prebilovci, saints of Christ, will be with us to protect us and intercede for us before the Lord through their prayers.